Monday, March 30, 2009

The Philadelphia Inquirer critique on leaving comments on a news story

For my critique I analyzed The Philadelphia Inquirer’s website. Overall, the website was easy to navigate. There were headlines and tabs which helped me find the stories I was interested in. The story I read was ‘Philadelphia Archdiocese to close two schools’. I chose this article because I attended Philadelphia Catholic school from first to twelfth grade and was curious to see what comments people left. When reading the article I noticed it was simple for readers to find the post a comment icon. On the right side of the article there was a separate box that included reader feedback, post a comment as well as a save and share section. In order for one to leave a comment it was not as easy as I would have thought. If one wanted to leave a comment about an article they first had to register and if they were already registered they had to sign in. To the left of the register box there is a comment from The Philadelphia Inquirer explaining why they are now asking people to register. Their reasoning is to increase the quality of the user experience and dialogue, as well as reduce the number of unsuitable or offensive comments (www.philly.com). I think making people register will decrease the number of people who would leave comments on a story. Commenting on a news story is something that is unique to the web. Readers can not leave comments for articles in newspapers so they post them on the Internet. I think because commenting is a distinctive feature to online media it should be easier to access and leave a comment. Today, people are always in a hurry so if they want to leave a comment they want to do it quickly. Many people do not want to have to log in and/or register. Also, if the website is only allowing certain comments to be posted the comments may be biased and non objective. Everyone I think should be able to leave comments without having to have user name to have peoples voices heard.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20090330_Philadelphia_Archdiocese_to_close_two_schools.html#comments

No comments:

Post a Comment