Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The New York Times Online

The New York Times is one of the most popular major newspapers. The New York Times has been around for a number of years. I will be honest and say that I have never visited this site until today. Just skimming over the page I find that there are a large number of different topics ranging from Supreme Court appeals to a company’s bankruptcy to sports. Their website is just like there newspaper; full of information.
When you first visit the websites homepage you see that the title of the newspaper and site have the same font, which I think keeps the connection between the website and the paper. Under the title you have the date and then there are the articles. The one good thing I did find about The New York Times site is that with all the information they give you, you have to find something that intrigues you to read. Also on the left had side of the page is a list of topics that the website has which makes it easier for the reader to find what he or she wants to read about.
The website does not just have photographs of the story they are covering but it has videos that you can click on and watch. One thing that the New York Times does very well is balance the stories between the newspaper and the website. They still want people to read the paper and enjoy the articles that are in that, that may never have made it to the web.
The thing that I found I did not like about the website was how everything was bunched together. I do agree that they had a lot of information and most all of it seemed like very useful knowledge but they seem to compact it all and it was just too much for my eyes to look at. Due to all the cluttered articles I did not know where to click I felt like I was bombarded with information. In the end I find the Internet to be a great thing but I still prefer to pick up a newspaper to get my information.

No comments:

Post a Comment