Monday, March 30, 2009

American Landscape: For Amber Waves of Song

I had never been to an Albright Choral Concert before this past Saturday, and I was slightly wary of the American Landscape theme, but I found the whole thing very enjoyable. I recognized almost all of the songs, and the program even provided lyrics for “The Star Spangled Banner” and “America the Beautiful.” This was a good event that was featured on Albright’s campus in Memorial Chapel. The conductor, Mr. Binger, even said that this was one of the biggest crowds that an Albright Choral Concert has had. There was a great mix of students, as well as family and friends from off-campus. The music had a good range that incorporated American history, and songs that went from slow and angelic to lively and upbeat. After the concert, I spoke with Mark Smith, a resident of Wyomissing, and a non-Albright student who came to support one of the singers and to enjoy the show. I also spoke with Fawn Lindsey, a freshman at Albright, who told me that this was her first choral concert as well. I was then able to speak with Heather Martell, a junior at Albright, who is part of the Women’s Choir. Through my own eyes and ears, and those of others, I was able to get a multitude of views on the concert that will hopefully encourage people to attend more of them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment