Monday, February 9, 2009

Critique: Online Storytelling Forms

“Slideshows”

Journalist can report about an event in many different forms. By using slideshows they can present information to readers in a new and interesting way. Slideshow keep readers entertained, which has become one of the roles of media. One of the examples that was given on the storytelling forms website is a perfect example of using slideshows perfectly. MSNBC has a slideshow series called the week in pictures. They use pictures to tell readers about what has occurred during the week. I know I personally do not have time to read every news story or watch every news report daily. So for me being able to stay informed in a quick and shortened version is extremely convenient and keeps me update on what is going on in the world even if I don’t always have the time to read the news everyday.

 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3251645/


“Animation”

When confronted with animation online I normally don’t click on it, just because it makes me think of those really annoying pop-up ads that always come up. After reading the storytelling forms article and clicking through their different examples of stories that use animation I can now see how if used properly animation could add another layer to a story and add a different perspective that the reader can relate to and find engaging.  The Sports illustrated link that was given as an example I thought used animation in a really interesting way. I don’t know the first thing about golf and the fact that the virtual tour that used animation helped me understand how the game would be played. It sort of made me feel like I was there. The fact that they used a voice to talk through the animation to explain each hole made is it seem even more lifelike and made it engaging for some one like me, who has no interest or understanding of golf.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/augusta/tour/pros_play/no13/

 

“Stories without words”

I am a believer that sometimes a picture can be as good as a thousand words. For example the Washington Post slideshow of the fall of the twin towers is a great example of how pictures if used correctly can be a great way to tell a story. The pictures were sort of a chronological snap shot of the events that occurred. When used properly photographs can bring out emotions in a reader and give some one who was not present at the time that something happened the opportunity to experience the moment as if they were there. My only problem with the story was the fact that they did not use music. I think that if they used music while the slideshow was playing it would add another level of emotional connection for the reader to make with the story.


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/flash/photo/attack/sequence/tower_sequence.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment