Monday, February 9, 2009

Critique of Story Forms (Allyse)

Print Plus
I often read many news stories that are posted to msnbc.com and never before noticed how they create their story. It was not until reading the description of print plus that I see they frame their story around an already existing published form. I read msnbc.com’s article on Alex Rodriguez’s admitting he took steroids and I now see that the story is just a reflection on the news story that ran on their television stations. They had the video of the most recent interview with Rodriguez posted to the story, showing that this was just a sort of follow-up to their already existing coverage. I never realized how much the added aspects such as the video could take away from the written story posted online. I think the description of print plus is right in saying that this type of story does not take full advantage of online reporting. The story is just a recap of what people have already read or seen on television and there is so much more that can probably be reported as the story is continuing to develop.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29068677/

Slide Shows
I always thought slide shows of pictures were a good way to show an audience a story. However, I never realized how powerful and informative slide shows could really be. After viewing and listening to the commentary of Vincent Laforet’s “The Refugees” slide show for The New York Times website I realized how powerful and incredibly useful this technology can be to online journalists. These pictures show a different side to the situation we are able to read about daily and it gives the reporter a chance to give a further explanation of what a reader is seeing in order for them to fully understand the story they are trying to tell. A photo spread like this may appear in the newspaper, but in color and with so much more commentary it paints a much different and much more powerful message to readers. I agree that this is a great way for online journalists to use online reporting because it gives readers a much more in-depth explanation and a much more vivid sense of a story.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/index_JOURNAL01.html

Weblogs
I have heard the term weblogs used so many times and I never really understood what exactly was meant by the term. However, after reading the According to The Times site, I have a much better understanding and I think it’s a great idea. I am not one to pick up a copy of The New York Times unless absolutely necessary because I find the content boring and hard to stay focused on. However, I do know how credible and informative it is consider. I think that the According to The Times weblog is a great idea for those who want a credible news source but are only looking for articles that interest them. This site gives mini descriptions of the articles that are in The Times and the links to access them online. I think this is a great way for casual readers to stay informed and for people who are looking for a specific story or just something that interests them to find those stories. I also think this is just another innovation associated with online journalism and really showcases the possibility of what it can become in the future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/25/weekinreview/25ATTT.html?ex=1234328400&en=95900ad9a033c7f3&ei=5070

No comments:

Post a Comment