Tuesday, February 10, 2009

More than just coffee runs: the benifits of internships

9:00 am- get to the office before everyone else. 9:45- coffee run. 10:30- deliver garments to photo shoot. 11:45- coffee run. 12:15- make copies. The life of an intern sometimes may seem like it is not worth all the work. Most students assume that interns just pick up coffee and make copies, but many students and professors highly recommend internships and praise the benefits associated with internships.
Fashion and communications majors for example are required to do internships as part of their major requirements. I spoke to Karen Evans about what she thinks are some of the benefits of internships. Karen said that some of the major benefits were, “Networking with different people to learn about the career as well as get advice for your own career and job leads.” After having done 3 internships as a college student I have found that internships really are beneficial and like Karen mentioned it is a great way to network and meet people. Karen also mentions that “being able to discuss your accomplishments and new skills and experiences during an interview,” is another great benefit of internships.
Students often come to college not knowing what sort of career path they want to follow. Internships can be a great way for students to learn more about what career path they would or would not want to follow. Senior Kelly Burn began as a fashion merchandising major here at Albright. Kelly did a summer internship with Donna Karen in New York City and after doing that internship decided not to continue as a fashion major. “I just couldn’t see myself living that kind of life. I want to a life not as stressed and filled with more fun and time to spend with family,” said Kelly of the reason for making her decision. For other students internships can be the most influential and beneficial time of their college lives. Thea Graybill said, “ my DC internship was an amazing experience. I learned so much about myself and about what I could see myself doing in the future.” For students like Thea and Kelly internships have made huge impacts on their futures. In both their personal and professional futures. I know that I would not be where I am today if I had not experienced what I have experienced through my various internships. All internship serve different purposes, some may be more beneficial then others but all internships provide students with the experiences they will need to succeed in their future careers.

No comments:

Post a Comment