Thursday, May 21, 2009

Update: The Trouble with Digital Media

I realize that in my very first blog about Digital Media, I may have written rather harshly and in a rather heated manner. This is all due to my growing frustration with the department and the college. I decided to write this optional update because a surprising amount of things has happened since my blog was posted. That Friday, when I entered Alumni Hall for my Digital Literacy class, I found the class delayed due to a meeting that the DM department was having. When I actually did enter class, I was approached by Dan Falabella, the head of the Digital Media department, who told me that he had read my blog. He told me that he had been made head of the department to "help resolve some of the issues addressed in the blog." The meeting they were having was, in fact, to discuss installing lab monitors, so the lab could stay open later and be easily accessible to its students.

Once in class, my professor, Jocelyn Kolb, explained that lab monitors would have 24-hour access to the lab. The lab is open until 1 a.m. on weekdays for students, but if the monitors are there later, it is at their discretion whether to let students in. She also explained the extended weekday hours, a great improvement over its current hours. Lab monitors, however, will also have a great responsibility, and will be held accountable if anything goes wrong or if the lab is left unattended, which is understandable. However, in the past students, were allowed in the lab unattended and simply had to wait for public safety to let them in. This was often an annoyance for both students and public safety, and students often waited for up to an hour. However, once in the lab, students remained unhindered to do their work until about 3 a.m. There have been many improvements, but there are also still many hindrances. I have actually found that getting into the lab is still far too much of a hassle; half the time, I find myself going to the computer center instead, and I often see many other DM students there as well. One student, who wishes to remain anonymous, told me, “It is just easier this way.” I may have made a big fuss about getting into the labs, but is still a hassle, and so I agree that sometimes it is just easier not to go there. However, this is only if the computers in the Computer Center have the programs you need. There was one occasion when my group for class needed a specific lab to do a project (because it is the only one on campus with the program) and public safety refused to open it until 10 p.m. They said this was because that is when the lab monitor started, but the person with whom I was working, John Smucker,’10, was the lab monitor that night, and despite telling them this, they still refused to open it. I know they are trying to make improvements, but it is all very frustrating. I found out it is really not up to public safety when the labs are open; that authority lies with Dr. Falabella.

I spoke with Dr. Falabella, who told me that the lab is now open Monday-Thursday until 1 a.m., under supervision of a monitor. They are not open during the weekends at this time, which I found out about the hard way when I attempted to go the lab and do work on a Sunday, only to call public safety and be refused entry to the labs. I found this rather annoying, and I know many other students have as well. Dr. Falabella explained that it is all about funding; there is not enough money to keep the lab open on weekends or later at night. He explained that he would like to follow the hours of the Computer Center, which is open for students on the weekends. I was informed that the reason for locking the doors and having so many precautions is all about safety. There have apparently been reports of people coming in off the streets or of non-DM students fooling around in the lab. I have never heard of such incidents or heard of problems, but I understand the need for safety. Instead of calling public safety and having to wait long amounts of time for entry, the lab monitor is now given a radio and public safety will radio them to let students in. It can also be used to radio public safety in case of an emergency. The labs had apparently become more of a hang-out than a professional workspace. I never saw much of a problem with this, but either way, it all seems to come down to funding, and I am disappointed that DM cannot obtain more of that.

What I am sure everyone would love is to have key-card entry to the lab. This way, only Digital Media students could get in, there would be no need to call or to radio anyone to gain access, and work would be accomplished more enthusiastically. Many colleges have this for their buildings and departments, but unfortunately somehow Albright College just does not seem to have the money. This semester will be my last at Albright, as I am transferring in the fall to Drexel University in Philadelphia. I told Dr. Falabella, and despite his efforts to improve the department, I simply have not been impressed or convinced enough to stay. Were it not for Dr. Falabella, the Digital Media department might not even have been kept in existence, as there was talk of shutting it down last year. I do have hope for the Digital Media department, and I know it can improve, but its progress is slow, and the lack of money just does allow for all the opportunities that are available.

No comments:

Post a Comment