Thursday, May 21, 2009

Final Reflective Blog

Frankly, before I took this class, I was not all that interested in journalism, citizen journalism, or blogging. I found this class to be a lot of work, but it really opened my eyes and made me more aware and knowledgeable about these things. I was never all that interested in journalism because I always thought of newspapers, or nosy reporters, or invading people’s privacy, but I learned that it was so much more than this. I never really thought of bloggers as citizen journalists, and I never knew that websites existed solely for this purpose. I had read blogs on previous occasions, but I had never really considered them newsworthy; they were more just for fun, but when I go back and look at them now, they actually are very informative. After this class, I am actually much more interested in journalism and blogging. I have seen all the possibilities it can create, and even just from this one class’s blog, it still managed to spark controversy on campus. I really learned how to seek out sources, obtain permission to film or record things, and especially how to edit. I am really glad I was able to learn how to edit, because it is a skill that I know I will need, but with which I have not yet had a lot of experience. When Deborah Horan came to speak to us and told us about her experience reporting in the Middle East, she told us that it was very important to be well-rounded and to know how to do a little bit of everything. The more you can do, the more employable you are, and the more you can further yourself in your field and for your own personal gain. As for the readings, many of them I did not find all that useful or relatable to what we were doing in class. They often did spark discussions in class that were interesting, but sometimes I failed to see how they related back to the focus of everything. They often did create discussion about ethics, which I do think is useful, because being in Communications, this question of what is moral or what is allowed is constantly arising. I did learn about some citizen journalist websites of which I was previously unaware and I actually found them quite interesting. It showed that you don’t necessarily have to have a career in journalism to report on the news or on something that you feel is important. I especially liked them because they often focused on more local or smaller things that would not normally make headline news. I also found one particular article we read early on about blogging, and about how it is different from other types of writing; I the aspect of blogging that it is more conversational and personal than other types of writing. I also found discussions about freedom of speech and things like comments very interesting, and how some bloggers allow for comments while others do not.

Sometimes going to campus events or setting up interviews could be a little nerve-racking, and I found I had to leave my comfort zone quite a bit, but this is all part of the real-experience. I did not realize at first that other faculty or administrators would be reading the blog, and so I was very surprised with my first blog that Dan Falabella, the head of the Digital Media department, approached me after reading my blog. I think that making videos and podcasts was a really great experience, and although it was a lot of work, I am really glad I was able to learn different techniques. I wish the equipment from the library was a little better quality and that it was more available, but it is good that we got to use the technology at all. I found good opportunities being presented to me because of this class and the events I covered. As I said, I was approached after writing my first blog, and I believe that it helped lead to a change in the way Alumni Hall was handled, where the DM department is. Also, when I filmed the student peace demonstration, I interviewed a member of Silent Witness, the protest group from the community, and the Executive Director, Alanna Berger, asked me if I could give them a copy of my footage, which they would use and for which they would give me credit. This class presented a lot of opportunities to me that I had not originally anticipated. Although I liked posting these things on a blog, I felt that our freedom with it was slightly limited. Blogs are all about saying what you want to say, and being open and conversational. I know this was a class, but there were requirements to be met, and sometimes it felt difficult to keep it true to blogging style, while still trying to remain professional for class.

Class critiques were also sometimes embarrassing or nerve-racking. I think they were a good idea, though; it was good to hear what my peers had to say, as opposed to just hearing from the professor. Sometimes they could relate better to the event or the trouble and could offer a different kind of perspective or critique. Just as we need well-rounded sources for our blogs and podcasts, it was good to have well-rounded opinions, advice, and critiques. I also liked watching other people’s blogs in a classroom setting rather than in my own room, because sometimes I noticed things that I had not noticed before, and we could have more of a discussion and listen to what other people had to say. This was helpful because it was often done before we had actually received a grade, and we could hear things that we could remember for the next time before actually learning what we had earned. However, sometimes it was more difficult to hear podcasts in class and sometimes this made it difficult to critique it properly. Overall, however, although class critiques could sometimes be stressful for those being critiqued, I think they are a good idea and worked out well so that people could get varying views and opinions.

My opinions of citizen journalism and blogging have certainly changed after this class. I pay a lot more attention to it and actually respect it more. There are lots of things that can be done with either of them, and they can definitely have some kind of impact. I think that they are often overlooked, and now that I see the impact that they can have, I believe people should start paying attention. Blogs and citizen journalist websites as well as the comments that people have left, have the ability to share news and so they do appear as a form of journalism. They can inform people, cause controversy, have a significant influence, and create bigger stories. We even read several accounts where businesses have considered using blogs to transmit information, and certainly, with TV shows and spoiler blogs playing a big role, some have even become famous. There are lots of well-known blogs, and while some are news, others have made the news. They are a new form of communication, and as the culture converges and moves even more towards the Internet, I think they will only become more popular and more common. A lot of people prefer to get their information this way, rather than read a newspaper or watch the news; the power is at their fingertips, and they have the freedom to do and say almost anything they want. If you have something to say, a blog is a great way to do it. Not everyone may see it, but the Internet is so vast that there are ways to get yourself out there and have your voice heard or read.

This class forced me and allowed me to do things and to speak to people that normally I would not have. I think this was a good experience that could be helpful in a real-world situation, not just dealing with journalism. There was a lot of work involved, a lot of organization, and a lot of planning, all skills that someone should have. I found out a lot of things about the campus and the community that I never knew before, and was able to see a different side of things. I know it was an experimental class, and I think it does need some tweaking and I often found the workload stressful, but I really enjoyed doing most of it, and am so happy with the things I can take away from it. I know I have progressed from the very first blog I wrote until now, and hopefully I will continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment