Saturday, May 16, 2009

Update On the Science Building

With graduation only a week away, I have been thinking a lot about my memories from my years here at Albright. I’ve even been thinking about the tour that eventually sealed my decision to come here. One of the biggest things I remember about my tour was the promise of a new state-of-the-art science building that was to be completed in my junior or senior year. And I’m definitely not the only one who remembers this tour highlight.

Unfortunately, the construction of the new addition was started only this past fall and those of us who remember this tour promise won’t be here to see it become a reality. “The senior and junior science majors are kind of bitter about this because we were promised a new building when we came here for orientation,” said senior Rick Grimminger, a chemistry major here at Albright. Theresa Parrish, a senior biology major, agreed with Rick when asked her opinion on the new addition to the science building. “The only thing I have to complain about is they said it would be done when I was touring.”

Since I’m not a science major, it’s easy for me not to be all that upset that the science building isn’t complete despite the promise during my tour. Then again I didn’t base my decision to come here on that promise because I’m a communications and English major. I would probably feel much like Rick and Theresa if I was promised a new communications center and wasn’t in school when the project came to fruition.

However, both Rick and Theresa see the benefits the new addition will bring. “I think it’s a good way to expand our academic pursuits by building the new building,” said Theresa. Rick said, “It will be a huge benefit. The new addition will provide new classrooms and new labs. Along with those lab will be new lab equipment.”

Having taken an anatomy class to fulfill my lab science general studies requirement, I saw how outdated most of the labs and equipment seemed to be. Even though I don’t use the building and its resources on an everyday basis, I’m pretty sure when trying to dissect a whale’s eye it shouldn’t break the scalpel. Samantha Cordisco, a freshman chemistry and education major who often uses the labs and their equipment explained, “The facilities we have are in need of an update. Things are old and corroded.” She also said the new labs and equipment will help speed up the processes of labs that oftentimes take much longer to complete using outdated materials.

Bob Presser, a sophomore business administration major, has yet to take his lab science general studies course. He said that if he knew the addition was to be finished and operating, he would wait to take his lab science in his senior year. “If all the science majors I know are right in telling me their sure it will help me, I guess I can trust them,” he said. Judging by the opinions of science majors like Rick, Theresa, and Samantha, and knowing first hand that the materials and labs are out dated, Bob may be smart in waiting to take his lab science course and utilizing the advantages the addition will afford him.


In the attached videoblog, I document the construction’s progress. With the unique foundation being finished, the summer months will see the quick rise of the actual building’s frame, according to Bill Robinson, the Senior Superintendent for IMC Construction who is handling all of the construction work. Administrator William Wood, Vice President for Administrative and Financial Services at Albright, discusses how the completion of the construction is a top priority for the college and how the web cam showing the progress is an under utilized tool. Despite being at the beginning stages of the construction, IMC and the Albright community have a good working relationship that both Robinson and Wood believe is the key to the success of the project moving forward and being completed as scheduled.

In the attached audio blog, I interviewed Albright professors from the physics, chemistry, and biology departments about the advantages the new addition will provide for teaching. Dr. Richard Heller, a biology professor, said the new addition will go beyond just giving the building a facelift. Dr. Pamela Artz, chair of the chemistry and biochemistry departments, said the chemistry department will have a better ventilation system to work with. Dr. Brian Buerke, chair of the physics department, said all physics labs will be able to occur under one roof. The professors not only agreed the addition would bring benefits to their different departments, but they all agreed it will allow students the opportunity to do more advanced and sophisticated research.

No comments:

Post a Comment