Monday, March 9, 2009

No matter the validity, its still interesting (to me)

After watching a couple blogs on CNN iReport, I was able to get a true feel for the website is all about. Its basically a collection of blogs that range from national topics to international topics, like a suicide bomber in Jerusalem, and entertainment/pop culture, such as the Chris Brown and Rihanna fiasco. The stories are non-traditional in the way that bloggers are allowed to give their unedited views of whatever they choose to talk about. Also, it gives bloggers opportunities to film videos, or show footage (this pertains to the more news-like stories, like the suicide bomber) of the topic, and write a blurb, or sometimes an additional article underneath it. That gives them the opportunity to have a couple types of media in one place.

The articles relate to the people reporting them, because these people seem really passionate and knowledgeable about what they are writing. For example. the woman who posted about Chris Brown and Rihanna seemed as though she has possibly been in an abusive relationship before; like she knew what its like to be in that sort of relationship. Due to the way that people can blog about any given topic, the site, is fair, in a sense that it allows people to voice their opinions regardless of what the people say or think. The ease of the everyday citizen to post is amazing to me; this reminded me of a news/journalist Youtube. I'm sure it probably wouldn't let anyone say anything offensive to anyone, but its pretty open and non-biased. Some of the stories did make me question the validity of them, simply because even though they provided pictures, there weren't always sources cited with the articles. And those that were cited, weren't cited with any newspapers, but from government websites, like mfa.gov. The stories that weren't pop culture, or more common knowledge, were informative; I learned things about different places that I probably would have never heard about, which was interesting. The blogs mainly kept me interested, because my favorite type of media is visual, and since all of the ones I clicked on, had a picture or video, I did not become bored with it, regardless of how true, or relevant, I thought it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment